Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Miss California

I obviously don’t agree with Miss California. And to be honest, I am so happy I’m out of the country so I don’t have to deal with Hollywood or some just as obnoxious person(s) on the other side of the issue on CNN for the next week. But, when de we stop allowing people to disagree with us?

What really bothers me is this. This woman was asked about Gay Marriage in a beauty pageant of all places, and she responded with HER opinion. *Gasp*. First of all, what did people think was going to happen with such a polarizing/politicized question being asked? Secondly, when did people lose their right to express their opinions? We’re not in Iran! Thirdly, to be dumped upon like this poor girl has, is just a shame. Give Miss California a break.

My prediction is this. We as a country are so caught up in what we think is right, is right, that we are about a stones throw away from someone being beaten and/or killed for their beliefs. And I don’t mean this in a MLK Jr. or Matthew Shepard kind of way, I mean this is going to happen in a neighborhood or something.

Police: Ma’am, why did you kill your neighbor?
Woman: Because she didn’t agree with me; she agreed with Miss California.

People are going to start hunting each other down for having a differing opinion. The amount of hate that is generated towards people for just having the opposite opinion is staggering. And while I’m not old, nor am I young (keep your comments to yourself), I don’t think I’ve seen such hostility. Ever. I mean red-faced, spitting mad hostility. Christians and Republicans get dumped on for their ideals and for being socially unjust - a lot of it deserved, but this is a street that definitely runs in both directions. This woman is getting yelled at for “hating”, by a bunch of people that are “hating” right back. Oh, but I forgot…they're righteous in their hating…my bad.

I fear for Miss California’s safety. Have we lost our minds? Don’t get me wrong - its nice to have people support me and causes that are dear to me, but if this is how the supporters are going to fight, I’ll take my chances on my own. The end doesn’t justify the means.

What Miss California said echoes the sentiments of over 50% of her own states population…and I won’t even go into my tirade about how it would be more if people could voice their vote/opinion without anyone knowing their identity…but I digress. If you don’t agree with her, don’t vote for her for Miss USA. If you don’t agree with her, don’t have her over for dinner. If you don’t agree with her and you ever have the chance to talk to her, maybe try to convince her through discussion. For God’s sake, let’s let people have their own opinions. Imagine how dull it would be if we all had (or were forced) to agree on everything.

No comments: