Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Chivalry is Dead

I travel quite a bit for work; the last month specifically traveling between Detroit and Monterrey, Mexico. I’ve gotten to the point where the whole hassle of the airport (checking-in bags, waiting in TSA lines, etc.) really doesn’t bother me. I always make sure to leave myself enough time to breezily walk to my gate, pick-up People Magazine, etc.

However, I’ve spent the last month going back and forth with the same group of guys. And when I say guys, I mean guys. The flight must be 90% men. I’m not going to lie – usually that means that I have people helping me with my bags, etc. NOT THIS TRIP!

I have literally been elbowed, hipped back into my seat, and yelled at for cutting in-line (BTW…I didn’t). The best thing is that the way things work here in Mexico is that they take you from the gate on a bus to your plane, so if you’re the first on the bus, you’re the last on the plane. Oh, sweet justice. So, to that man that practically tackled me to get through security, I heard what row you were in and I purposely put my bags in your overhead compartment…I was the 2nd person on the plane, afterall. Oh, sweet justice.

Is it wrong that I entertain myself to the detriment of my fellow travelers? I just get a kick out of people that act like the 30 seconds of time they save by being the first out of their seat and running onto/out of the plane is of utmost importance.

Had this group been on the Titantic, babies and women would’ve been thrown overboard in a heartbeat. For sure!

No comments: