Friday, May 29, 2009

New Job

A few people have asked me recently if I could do “it” all over again, would I be a CPA/Accountant. No, I wouldn’t…although my career has afforded me lot of things and opportunities. Being an Internal Auditor as an off-shoot to CPA has worked out fairly well as far as interesting work (all things “financial” considered). Until 10 minutes ago, I couldn’t have told you something that I would’ve done instead…although I’ve always liked to think it would be something related to an entertainment-type field. However, I have finally figured out what I would love to do.

In some form or fashion, I think I’d like to be in the field of Sociology…I guess a Sociologist, of sorts. I spend so much of my days intrigued, perplexed, disgusted, or amazed by the way people act and why they do the things they do. I’m rather slow at work right now, so I’ve spent the majority of my morning today just kind of paying attention to the things going on around me. Plus, I’m always one to point out or question what people do…right, Lanae? I also REALLY enjoy a good social experiment from time-to-time.

Here is what I’ve encountered in the last few days or so alone:
1. Our administrative assistant who manages to work her health status into each and every conversation she has (in-person and phone). Its very similar to a weather update, but I think most people seem to care more about the weather.

2. A woman who entered the restroom after me today and before sitting down pulled about 15 yards of toilet paper off the roll and kind of wrapped the toilet seat in it before sitting down. (We have seat covers by the way).

3. My co-worker who has an Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder (my diagnosis, of course…which would make me a Psychologist/Psychiatrist in addition to a Sociologist!). The way he interacts with our group is just amazing.

4. Blogging – why do we think anyone cares what we have to say?!? I won’t even get started on Twittering.

5. Family interactions – why do we (seem) to act different towards our families vs. society in general.

6. Hygiene habits – a full spectrum of things to make my stomach turn…I’ll spare you the details.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

The correct term of what you'd love to be is an "ethnographer". Or perhaps an anthropologist.

Am I still one of your favorite social experiment test subjects?